On Children and Nature
“There must be provision for the child to have contact with nature; to understand and appreciate the order, the harmony and the beauty in nature.”
What are Green Schools?
"Green schools are more than buildings. They are places where children learn the wonders of the world and teachers prepare the next generation of citizens. These schools are built and operated to be full of clean air and sunlight and to be free of toxic materials and harmful chemicals. Green schools are energy efficient, helping to lower utility costs, conserve resources and reduce waste. Green schools showcase a community's commitment to its children and their future, who in turn learn from an early age the importance and beneﬁts of acting as responsible stewards of their communities and the larger world.“
USGBC, Center For Green Schools
Green School Principles
- We use wood for furniture, built-ins and planters.
- We prioritize sustainable when using wood and natural materials.
- We use real grasscloth for the walls, cork and marmoleum for floors and use environmentally friendly adhesive.
- We use zero VOC paints for walls.
- We choose low-ﬂow toilets and sink ﬁxtures.
- We look for proper lighting ﬁxtures which give a full spectrum of light and use as much daylight as possible.
- We have HVAC technicians in to assess the indoor air quality.
- We replace old systems and upgrade to ensure good air quality and energy efﬁcient heat indoors.
- We use as many trees and plants as we can inside the classrooms.
- We design with original fine art which enhances the design and increases overall well being for students and teachers.
Green Classroom Objectives
- Support the health of school occupants, including teachers, students and staff
- Provide the best physical environment possible for student academic performance
- Decrease absenteeism due to environmental factors
- Support environmentally responsible practices
- Save energy, water and improve indoor environmental quality
- Foster an appreciation among our children for environmentally sustainable practices
- Become part of the green schools and green building communities